So I spent the rest of the afternoon yesterday finishing up the soft pocket book only to discover I'd do several things differently. You get to witness my beta version. ;)
On to the tute and then I'll discuss what I'll do differently in the next version.
At the end of Part I you were left having finished one sheet. That's a grand total of four pages because each sheet is double sided and each side is two pages.
I continued on sewing up sheets until I had four finished. That's when I realized my original idea of six pages would create a book that was too thick.
I stacked those four sheets on top of each other and pinned them together down the center.
I sewed a relatively straight line through the sheets and created the binding.
Here you see the front page of the completed book. (please forgive the glare from the vinyl)
Here is a shot showing some of the inner pages.
What I want to do differently in future books:
1. Change the dimensions. 20" x 11" is too wide. I'll cut the next sheets down to 18" x 11".
2. Add in a handle by the binding. The baby girl LOVES to carry her soft books and they should definitely have handles.
3. Reduce the number of pages. I already did that on this version, but it needs to be in the plans from the get-go on future books.
4. Use a turn and topstitch technique instead of serging the edges. I don't like the look of the serged edges and I'm too impatient to make sure I get the corners uniform in size.
5. I might consider adding in a flap that can velcro over the back page to make a closure for the book. This is a maybe, but again the baby girl LOVES her books that have a closure.
If you were patient enough to wait for part II of the tute, you get to make these changes right away!
- A 40 something mama meandering through life an 8 year old girl (the big girl) who is a ball of lightening and a 5 year old girl (the baby girl) who brightens our lives with her smiles. I'm grounded by my 40 something husband and partner (the hubster) whose quirky mannerisms brighten my days. Our family is rounded out with with an eclectic 21 year old boy-man (the boy) who I hardly ever right about now since he's off starting his own life.
I've been a single mama, married mama, divorced mama, career mama, SAHM, and WAHM. There was a short time of my life when I wasn't a mama, but that was a LONG time ago!
I hold an AA, BS, and MA and most say I'm wasting them by devoting my intellectual capabilities and energy in the nurture of the wee ones that I've been entrusted to raise, but there is nothing else I'd rather be doing these days. :)
I love hearing from readers, so please share your thoughts and leave comments, too!